Dr Prashant Borade, Head, Critical Care Unit, Global Hospital, Mumbai provides various preventive tips for COVID-19 an how social distancing is a boon in times of crisis that we are currently facing
There are various preventive measures which one will have to take to keep coronavirus at bay. Strengthen your immune system, follow a proper handwashing technique, disinfect and clean surfaces and items after touching and opt for social distancing. Doing so can be helpful in dealing with coronavirus! Read on to know more about this.
Coronavirus or COVID-19 is a virus that causes respiratory disease and in serious cases it can lead to pneumonia as well. The listed symptoms of it are fever, cough and shortness of breath. Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced that the entire country would be put under lockdown to slow the outbreak of coronavirus as the number of patients suffering from COVID-19 is increasing at a rapid rate in India. Thus, to slow the outbreak of coronavirus, here are few guidelines that you should adhere to. Follow them right away, and stay home, stay safe and stay healthy!
Take these precautions to stay away from coronavirus
- Stay at home: Are you sick? Do you exhibit symptoms such as cold or cough? Then, do not venture out of the house as you may be prone to coronavirus. Likewise, try to limit your contact with others at home as well. Social distancing is essential to stop the spread of coronavirus.
- Be calm and composed: The outbreak of coronavirus is stressful and worrisome. It can cause paranoia, and trigger a depressive episode or even obsessive compulsive disorder or OCD (people may wash their hands or disinfect their houses more frequently owing to the fear of coronavirus). Thus, one has to be calm and avoid watching the news that is disturbing. Do not believe in rumours. Instead, spend some quality time with your family at home while maintaining social distance, connect to friends via phone, and get some ‘ME’ time to rejuvenate and do activities that you like (reading / listening to music / exercising / painting / gardening can be helpful).
- Handwashing is the need of the hour: Remember to wash your hands and sanitise them after visiting the loo, touching the surfaces and things, and before preparing meals. Stick to a proper handwashing technique. Wet your hands and apply soap. Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the help of soap. Clean your nails. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers. Scrub and rinse your hands.
- Disinfect the surfaces and items: Make sure that you follow good hygiene practices and keep your house clean. Surfaces (door handles, locks, tables, doorknobs, kitchen countertop) and items (cell phones, remote, pens, keyboards, metal objects) should be disinfected on a regular basis. Avoid touching your face, nose or eyes after doing so and wash your hands immediately.
- Cover your mouth: Do not forget to cover your mouth while sneezing or coughing. Use a mask when you are around others and are symptomatic. Dispose of the tissues after using and wash your hands.