- This event has passed.
COVID 19 Response Plan: Key lessons from the HIV epidemic | 29th May 2020
May 29 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
There is no vaccine to prevent COVID-19 infection or proven therapy to treat it yet, attention is understandably riveting on mitigating the immediate health and economic consequences. Currently, government bodies, community leaders, healthcare providers, and scientists are all toiling to respond to the expanding spread of COVID 19 in India.
While focussing on our acute response to this pandemic is necessary, it is also paramount to think about longer-term strategies in response to SARS-CoV-2. There is a benefit in planning beyond immediate needs and circumstances, considering that even after the current wave of this pandemic subsides, we will not have eradicated SARS-CoV-2. Nor will we be spared from future pandemics of other viruses, whether they be respiratory, enteric or bloodborne. So what can history teach us about successful responses to past infectious disease pandemics?
If one needs proof of the importance of developing and sustaining system-level interventions to meet the ongoing threat, our nation’s response to HIV/AIDS can provide such evidence.
Express Healthcare’s next webinar on healthcare transformation will bring forth the hard-won knowledge that we have acquired from our decades-long interaction with the HIV/AIDS pandemic into practice as we prepare for the future of COVID-19.
Key talk points:
- Clinical lessons on disaster management, SOPs/ safety protocols for infection control, universal precautions, PPEs, Waste Disposal etc
- Mental health issues of health care workers, pre-exposyre prophylaxis, post-exposure prophylaxis
- Addressing social stigma from lessons learnt from HIV
- Behaviour change communication
- Dr Bhuvana Krishna, Professor & HOD, Department of Critical Care Medicine, St Johns Medical College and Hospital
- Dr Glory Alexander Thomas, Director – ASHA Foundation & HIV Physician and Vice President – AIDS Society of India
- Raelene Kambli, Special Correspondent- Express Healthcare, Express Diagnostics, Express Radiology & Express Pharma
Date: Friday, 29 May, 2020 | Time: 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM IST – 60 Min