The accreditation standards for Emergency Department (ED) developed by QAI Technical Committee had been supported by SEMI laid the grounds of this collaboration
Quality and Accreditation Institute (QAI) and Society for Emergency Medicine India (SEMI) join hands to strengthen emergency department services across the country. Accreditation Standards laid down a set of requirements which are usually higher than basic requirements for licensing. Standards provide an opportunity to healthcare providers to look at their systems, policies, procedures and processes to see whether they are able to achieve better in terms of structures, processes and outcomes. The accreditation standards for Emergency Department (ED) developed by QAI Technical Committee had been supported by SEMI laid the grounds of this collaboration. It is important to recognise that there is a need to build the human resources capacity on the understanding of standards. Keeping this in mind, QAI and SEMI sets the following objectives to collaborate:
- To create awareness about importance of Quality and Accreditation in ED across the country
- To build capacity of emergency physicians, nurses and paramedics in ED accreditation standards
- To organise joint training and awareness programmes
- Develop a guidance document (guidebook) for QAI ED accreditation standards by involving several ED professionals from various hospitals for wider dissemination and engagement.
- To participate in each-others events, as relevant
On the occasion Dr A.N. Venkatesh, President-SEMI and Dr. B.K. Rana, CEO-QAI reiterated the significance of co-creation of technical materials and setting the common objectives in the larger interest of relevant stakeholders. This MOU is particularly relevant when all medical colleges in India are required to set up an emergency department